Evening Volcano Explorer from Hilo
The original volcano lovers tour. Start with a drive through quaint Hilo town where you’ll drive along the historic waterfront before heading out to the old fishing village of Kalapana. Your National Park Service certified guide will discuss the volcanology, geology, and history of Kilauea volcano, as well as providing in-depth narration on the various lava flows and flora and fauna that you’ll be passing by. Kalapana was destroyed by lava, as was the adjacent beach, Kaimu.
Hike out across the lava flow to the new black sand beach. Stop by Star of the Sea Painted Church. Moved by the community twice to save it from advancing lava flows in 1990, this decommissioned church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Next travel to the crown jewel of Hawaii, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Visit the Kilauea Visitor’s Center, the Kilauea Iki Crater Overlook, and Steaming Bluffs. Stop in at the famous Volcano House for incredible views of Kilauea Caldera, and hike to the cracks and sinkholes in the paved roads left behind by the historic eruption of 2018. Deli Style Picnic is included.
This tour picks up from hotels around the Hilo area of the Big Island.
Picnic-style lunch is included with this tour.
This tour lasts approximately 7 hours.
Great tour for all ages!
Picnic style lunch is included.
Guests must cancel tour no less than 48 hours before tour departure for a full refund.
The Health and safety of our staff and guests are a top priority at Hawaii Forest & Trail. Although the risk of COVID-19 can not be eliminated, we have taken the following steps to mitigate these risks:
Hawaii Forest & Trail has implemented new Health and Safety Policies based on guidance and requirements by the State of Hawaii and CDC. The following requirements will need to be met in order to join us:
- Proof of a negative COVID-19 test through the Hawaii Safe Travel Program or proof of 14 day quarantine (airline generated flight itinerary) Test results must be presented upon check-in.
- Health Questionnaire and temperature check with contactless infrared thermometer completed prior to your participation
- Face masks are required at all times in our vehicles and wherever social distancing is not possible. Guests agree to follow guide instructions.
- Group sizes are limited to 9 guests.
- Guest time in the van has been shrunk wherever possible. Pickups closer to tour destinations have been added and encouraged.
- All vehicles and gear are sanitized following every tour using commercial grease sanitizing equipment with CDC approved sanitizers.
- All staff are required to complete a daily health screening and temperature check before starting their shift
- Face Masks are worn at all times in our vans and on our facility.
- Protocols to reduce contact between employees have been put in place
- Access to free COVID-19 testing is made available through the state of Hawaii.
Adult (13+): $219.00 + taxes and fees
Child (12 and under): $214.00 + taxes and fees
Availability and Schedule:
Available on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Approximate Pick-up Time:
Varies depending on your hotel
Approximate Return Time:
Other Activities you might like:
💲 Starting at $255.00
⭐ Unique Experience
🍴 Dinner Included
Our journey from sea level to the nearly 14,000-foot summit of Maunakea reveals the wonders and world-class clarity of the Hawaiian night sky.
💲 Starting at $209.00
✅ For an out-of-this-world experience
Our in-house stellar explorers are the best and most experienced in Hawaii with one having created the Mauna Kea Visitor’s Center and operated it for a decade. pick up from Hilo Area,
💲 Starting at $178.00
✅ Features Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Our Big Island Volcano Tour Adventure is once again visiting parts of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (HVNP).