Twilight Volcano and Stargazing Tour
See rare black sand beaches, walk through a lava tube, visit famous Kona Coffee Farm and the magnificent Volcanoes National Park, finish the adventure with stargazing near Mauna Kea. Experience the Big Island’s most spectacular natural splendors on this small-group tour with a professional local guide sharing knowledge of the history, cultures, and geology of the island.
Enjoy a fully narrated adventure that starts with a stop at a Kona Coffee Farm. Walk through the orchards with your guide learning about the harvesting and milling process while sampling a warm cup of Kona-grown coffee.
Continue the leisurely drive and pass the scenic view of the Kealakekua Bay and South Point, the southernmost point of the United State, then relax and take it all in at Punalu’u Black Sand Beach, a great place to spot marine life from the shore, like Hawaii’s green sea turtles.
In the afternoon, visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park with a trip around the Chain of Craters Road, for the “mountain to sea” experience. Various stops are made to view magnificent volcanic eruption, and flow sites of the past, the beautiful park coastline, and the remarkable Thurston Lava Tube. In addition, your certified tour guide provides an educational and insightful narrative about the volcanoes as you visit Kilauea Iki Lookout, steam vents, Halema’uma’u Crater, and crater rim trail.
After enjoying a sit-down dinner at a local restaurant near the park, your guide will take you to a secluded and ideal location for stargazing near Mauna Kea, depending on weather condition, you will observe stars, planets, galaxies, moon, and much more while your guide shares interesting legend and lore of the sky.
- Take a tour of a Kona Coffee Farm to learn about the harvesting and milling process while sampling Kona Coffee
- Dip your toes in the sand at Punalu’u Black Sand Beach and scan the horizon for green sea turtles on the shore
- Visit the stunning display of the dynamic natural wonders in the Volcanoes National Park including Thurston Lava Tube
- View the glowing lava inside the active volcanic crater that brightens up the night sky
- Observe stars, planets, and galaxies under the pristine night sky near Mauna Kea, weather permitting.
- Professional guide sharing knowledge of the history, cultures, and geology of the island.
Pick up location and Time Tour departs daily. We pick up from all resorts and hotels in Keauhou, Kona, Waikoloa, and Kohala area between 9:30 am to 11 am. Actual pick up time vary depending on hotel location. Tour duration is around 12 hours.
What to bring and wear
Wear comfortable clothing in layers as temperatures vary from warm to cool. We recommend to bring a light jacket and wear covered walking shoes.
Group Size: Tours are limited to a maximum of 12 guests per vehicle
Tour difficulty: Easy hiking over a short distance. Ages 5 and older are required.
Included in the tour: Assorted juices, snacks, and bottled water. Local style picnic lunch consists of teriyaki chicken, grilled fish, local sweet potato, and steamed rice. Sit-down dinner at a restaurant near the park, the menu will be provided on the tour. In addition, all admission fees, jackets, and rain gear.
Cancellation Policy: Minimum 24 hours notice for groups of 1-5, 48 hours notice for groups of 6 or more, and 72 hour notice for private groups to receive a full refund.
How much hiking do we do?
A: We will have a couple easy hikes over a short distance on this tour. The total distance is about a mile
Will we get to see active lava?
A: Due to the dynamic nature of active volcanoes, lava viewing conditions change daily or even hourly. The best viewing of current eruptive activity is on our Twilight Volcano Tour. We will do our best to get you to the closest viewing area providing it is safe and legal.
The Health and safety of our staff and guests are a top priority at Hawaii Forest & Trail. Although the risk of COVID-19 can not be eliminated, we have taken the following steps to mitigate these risks:
Hawaii Forest & Trail has implemented new Health and Safety Policies based on guidance and requirements by the State of Hawaii and CDC. The following requirements will need to be met in order to join us:
- Proof of a negative COVID-19 test through the Hawaii Safe Travel Program or proof of 14 day quarantine (airline generated flight itinerary) Test results must be presented upon check-in.
- Health Questionnaire and temperature check with contactless infrared thermometer completed prior to your participation
- Face masks are required at all times in our vehicles and wherever social distancing is not possible. Guests agree to follow guide instructions.
- Group sizes are limited to 9 guests.
- Guest time in the van has been shrunk wherever possible. Pickups closer to tour destinations have been added and encouraged.
- All vehicles and gear are sanitized following every tour using commercial grease sanitizing equipment with CDC approved sanitizers.
- All staff are required to complete a daily health screening and temperature check before starting their shift
- Face Masks are worn at all times in our vans and on our facility.
- Protocols to reduce contact between employees have been put in place
- Access to free COVID-19 testing is made available through the state of Hawaii.
Adult (13+): $225.00 + taxes and fees
Child (12 and under): $215.00 + taxes and fees
Availability and Schedule:
Available Daily except Sundays and Mondays
Approximate Pick-up Time:
Varies depending on your hotel
Approximate Return Time:
Other Activities you might like:
💲 Starting at $255.00
⭐ Unique Experience
🍴 Dinner Included
Our journey from sea level to the nearly 14,000-foot summit of Maunakea reveals the wonders and world-class clarity of the Hawaiian night sky.
💲 Starting at $229.00
✅ For an out-of-this-world experience
Our in-house stellar explorers are the best and most experienced in Hawaii with one having created the Mauna Kea Visitor’s Center and operated it for a decade. pick up from Kona Area,