Discover Volcano Country
Travel through the remote and rugged landscape of Kau, home to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. We’ll visit a pristine lava cave and will search for Hawaii Green Sea Turtles on a black sand beach. Discover how the powerful forces of nature have shaped the people and landscape of this dynamic region, Hawaii’s largest land district. The perfect blend of nature and culture led by an expert Interpretive Guide, this tour reveals what it’s like to live on an active volcano.
- Discover the all the must see sites with Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, including the dramatically changed Halemaumau Crater.
- We’ll tour an exclusive pristine lava tube
- Walk across a black sand beach as you search for basking sea turtles
- Immerse yourself in stories of Hawaiian legends and mythology with a focus on Madame Pele – Hawaiian goddess of fire.
Restrictions: Guests on this tour should not be physically challenged or unable to walk short distances of 2 to 3 miles on uneven terrain. We sometimes encounter cool, wet or muddy conditions. Other tour restrictions may apply.
What to Bring & Wear: Comfortable walking shoes, long pants, and a light jacket.
- How much hiking do we do? We’ll stop a couple times throughout the adventure. Short walks varying from 2 – 3 miles throughout the day. Easy to moderate.
- Is there elevation gain? Except for the lava tube exploration, the trails are relatively level. While exploring the lava tube, expect to descend and ascend approximately 30 feet.
- Will we get to see active lava? There is no active lava on the island at this time but due to the dynamic nature of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and Kilauea Volcano, lava viewing conditions can change. For more information visit the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory’s Eruption Update page.
All access fees, coffee tasting, deli lunch, waters, assorted beverages, and use of daypacks, walking staffs, rain gear, and warm wear.Lunch: Including sandwich or salad (choice of turkey, ham, tuna, veggie, or mac nut chicken salad) chips, juice drinks, and a sweet treat.
Walking sticks, day packs, warm wear and rain ponchos.
Adult (18+): $179.00
Child: (4-11): $154.00
Morning trips depart daily from Hilo. Tour time is approximately 7 hours round-trip.
- Pick up time: 8:35 AM
- Approximate return time: 4:05 PM