Hidden Craters Hike
Venture onto private land behind 3 locked gates to explore the upper slopes of Kona’s very own volcano – Hualalai. This journey provides intimate, unique access to the site of multiple volcanic eruptions from the 1800’s, all within a short distance.
- Exclusive private access onto Hualalai volcano and into a native forest
- Take pleasure in a 3-4 mile hike through untouched cloud forest with incredible vistas of the Kona coast.
- Stand on the edge of precipitous volcanic craters that plunge deep into the earth below
- Climb through a segment of a lava tube
Guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain. We sometimes encounter cool and wet conditions. Other tour restrictions may apply.
- How much hiking do we do? We’ll stop a couple times throughout the adventure for short hikes of less than ½ mile.
- Is there elevation gain? Our tour ranges from sea level to 6,000 feet. We will meander on a single track trail through native forest with a mild elevation change of approximately 30 feet. While exploring the lava tube, expect to descend and ascend approximately 30 – 40 feet.
- How many different types of volcanic features will I see? Along the tour, we’ll see a 200 year old lava flow, spatter cones, fissures and collapse pits.
- Do we need any special type of equipment to explore the lava tube? The lava tube we visit is perfect for the casual adventurer. We’ll descend via earthen steps with a rope to assist and there’s enough ambient light to see all of the major features inside the cave.
- Is Hualalai Volcano active? Technically speaking, yes. Hualalai’s last eruption ended in 1801 so it is considered active. However, magma is not close to the surface so we won’t see any geothermal activity.
Trail bar snack and water refills (Please bring your own reusable bottle!).
Comfortable walking shoes, a hat, sunscreen, and a light sweatshirt or jacket.
Walking sticks, warm wear, day packs and rain ponchos.
The Health and safety of our staff and guests are a top priority at Hawaii Forest & Trail. Although the risk of COVID-19 can not be eliminated, we have taken the following steps to mitigate these risks:
Hawaii Forest & Trail has implemented new Health and Safety Policies based on guidance and requirements by the State of Hawaii and CDC. The following requirements will need to be met in order to join us:
- Proof of a negative COVID-19 test through the Hawaii Safe Travel Program or proof of 14 day quarantine (airline generated flight itinerary) Test results must be presented upon check-in.
- Health Questionnaire and temperature check with contactless infrared thermometer completed prior to your participation
- Face masks are required at all times in our vehicles and wherever social distancing is not possible. Guests agree to follow guide instructions.
- Group sizes are limited to 9 guests.
- Guest time in the van has been shrunk wherever possible. Pickups closer to tour destinations have been added and encouraged.
- All vehicles and gear are sanitized following every tour using commercial grease sanitizing equipment with CDC approved sanitizers.
- All staff are required to complete a daily health screening and temperature check before starting their shift
- Face Masks are worn at all times in our vans and on our facility.
- Protocols to reduce contact between employees have been put in place
- Access to free COVID-19 testing is made available through the state of Hawaii.
- Adult (13+): $160.00 + taxes and fees
- Child (8-12): $135.00 + taxes and fees
Availability and Schedule:
Availability varies; please check booking calendar for up-to-date information.
Approximate Pick-up Time:
Approximate Return Time:
Pick up from Hotels not available.
Tours depart from Hawaii Forest & Trail Headquarters (73-5593 A, Olowalu St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740). Please check in by 7:15 AM. Approx. 5 hours round trip.
Check your confirmation emails for pick up details.
You Might Also Like:
💲 Starting at $255.00
⭐ Unique Experience
🍴 Dinner Included
Our journey from sea level to the nearly 14,000-foot summit of Maunakea reveals the wonders and world-class clarity of the Hawaiian night sky.
💲 Starting at $299.00
👻 Great for thrill seekers
✅ Waterfall swimming included
Zipline well above the forest floor, picnic on the rim of Pololu Valley & swim under an exclusive waterfall fed by a cool mountain stream.