Hidden Craters Hike
Venture onto private land behind 3 locked gates to explore the upper slopes of Kona’s very own volcano – Hualalai. This journey provides intimate, unique access to the site of multiple volcanic eruptions from the 1800’s, all within a short distance.
- Exclusive private access onto Hualalai volcano and into a native forest
- Take pleasure in a 3-4 mile hike through untouched cloud forest with incredible vistas of the Kona coast.
- Stand on the edge of precipitous volcanic craters that plunge deep into the earth below
- Climb through a segment of a lava tube
Guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain. We sometimes encounter cool and wet conditions. Other tour restrictions may apply.
- How much hiking do we do? We’ll stop a couple times throughout the adventure for short hikes of less than ½ mile.
- Is there elevation gain? Our tour ranges from sea level to 6,000 feet. We will meander on a single track trail through native forest with a mild elevation change of approximately 30 feet. While exploring the lava tube, expect to descend and ascend approximately 30 – 40 feet.
- How many different types of volcanic features will I see? Along the tour, we’ll see a 200 year old lava flow, spatter cones, fissures and collapse pits.
- Do we need any special type of equipment to explore the lava tube? The lava tube we visit is perfect for the casual adventurer. We’ll descend via earthen steps with a rope to assist and there’s enough ambient light to see all of the major features inside the cave.
- Is Hualalai Volcano active? Technically speaking, yes. Hualalai’s last eruption ended in 1801 so it is considered active. However, magma is not close to the surface so we won’t see any geothermal activity.
Trail bar snack and water refills (Please bring your own reusable bottle!).
Comfortable walking shoes, a hat, sunscreen, and a light sweatshirt or jacket.
Walking sticks, warm wear, day packs and rain ponchos.
Adult (13+): $175.00 + taxes and fees
Child (8-12): $150.00 + taxes and fees
*Price subject to change. Please check booking calendar for up to date pricing.
Availability and Schedule:
Availability varies; please check booking calendar for up-to-date information.
Approximate Pick-up Time:
Approximate Return Time:
Pick up from Hotels not available.
Tours depart from Hawaii Forest & Trail Headquarters (73-5593 A, Olowalu St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740). Please check in by 7:15 AM. Approx. 5 hours round trip.
Check your confirmation emails for pick up details.
You Might Also Like:
💲 Starting at $265.00
✅ Includes National Park Certified Guide
An in-depth volcano experience on the Island of Hawaii is offered by Hawaii Forest & Trail.
💲 Starting at $275.00
⭐ Unique Experience
🍴 Dinner Included
Our journey from sea level to the nearly 14,000-foot summit of Maunakea reveals the wonders and world-class clarity of the Hawaiian night sky.
💲 Starting at $299.00
👻 Great for thrill seekers
✅ Waterfall swimming included
Zipline well above the forest floor, picnic on the rim of Pololu Valley & swim under an exclusive waterfall fed by a cool mountain stream.