Hidden Craters Hike
Venture onto private land behind 3 locked gates to explore the upper slopes of Kona’s very own volcano – Hualalai. This journey provides intimate, unique access to the site of multiple volcanic eruptions from the 1800’s, all within a short distance.
- Exclusive private access onto Hualalai volcano and into a native forest
- Take pleasure in a 3-4 mile hike through untouched cloud forest with incredible vistas of the Kona coast.
- Stand on the edge of precipitous volcanic craters that plunge deep into the earth below
- Climb through a segment of a lava tube
- After your hike, tour Kona’s newest brewery and enjoy a sampling of locally made beers, ciders, and/or non-alcoholic energy drinks.
Restrictions: Guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain. We sometimes encounter cool and wet conditions. Other tour restrictions may apply.
What to Bring & Wear: Comfortable walking shoes, a hat, sunscreen and a light sweatshirt or jacket.
- How much hiking do we do? We’ll stop a couple times throughout the adventure for short hikes of less than ½ mile.
- Is there elevation gain? Our tour ranges from sea level to 6,000 feet. We will meander on a single track trail through native forest with a mild elevation change of approximately 30 feet. While exploring the lava tube, expect to descend and ascend approximately 30 – 40 feet.
- How many different types of volcanic features will I see? Along the tour, we’ll see a 200 year old lava flow, spatter cones, fissures and collapse pits.
- Do we need any special type of equipment to explore the lava tube? The lava tube we visit is perfect for the casual adventurer. We’ll descend via earthen steps with a rope to assist and there’s enough ambient light to see all of the major features inside the cave.
- Is Hualalai Volcano active? Technically speaking, yes. Hualalai’s last eruption ended in 1801 so it is considered active. However, magma is not close to the surface so we won’t see any geothermal activity.
Tours depart daily from Hawaii Forest & Trail Headquarters. 6 – 7 hours round trip. Other pickups available. Please contact us for full details.
Deli style lunch with assorted soft drinks, juices and bottled water. Enjoy a flight of locally made beers, ciders, and/or non-alcoholic energy drinks.
Walking sticks, warm wear, day packs and rain ponchos.
- Adult (13+): $187.43 + taxes and fees
- Child (12 and under): $161.26 + taxes and fees
Availability and Schedule:
Available Saturdays and other select weekdays
Approximate Pick-up Time:
Approximate Return Time: