An in-depth volcano experience on the Island of Hawaii is offered by Hawaii Forest & Trail. Your National Park Certified Guide will share a mix of natural and cultural history about the island’s formation, illuminating the stories behind the ever-changing landscape of our island home.
- On this in-depth park experience, your interpretive guide will illuminate the historical events that changed the landscape of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
- Enjoy 2-3 miles of hiking around the park’s dynamic terrain.
- View Kilauea’s latest eruption after dark, when the glow from lava deep in the caldera lights up the night’s sky!
- We’ll visit a large private lava tube known for its bright yellow and gold microbial mats living on the cave walls. This lava tube is only accessible to Hawaii Forest & Trail guests.
Guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain and we may encounter cool, wet, or muddy conditions. Other tour restrictions may apply. Ages 8 +
- How much hiking do we do? We’ll hike for 2-3 miles at a location determined by park conditions that day.
- Will we get to see active lava? Active lava viewing can always change in the future. You can check most current volcano conditions by visiting the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory’s Eruption Update page.
Trips depart from Kona, with pickups in Waikoloa. Tour time is approx. 10-12 hours round trip. Traveling time is approx. 6 hrs from Waikoloa resorts.
Breakfast snacks, beverages, lunch, afternoon appetizers, National Park entrance fees.
Bring your own reusable water bottle.
Comfortable walking shoes, long pants, and a light jacket.
Walking sticks, flashlights, and rain ponchos.
The Health and safety of our staff and guests are a top priority at Hawaii Forest & Trail. Although the risk of COVID-19 can not be eliminated, we have taken the following steps to mitigate these risks:
Hawaii Forest & Trail has implemented new Health and Safety Policies based on guidance and requirements by the State of Hawaii and CDC. The following requirements will need to be met in order to join us:
- Proof of a negative COVID-19 test through the Hawaii Safe Travel Program or proof of 14 day quarantine (airline generated flight itinerary) Test results must be presented upon check-in.
- Health Questionnaire and temperature check with contactless infrared thermometer completed prior to your participation
- Face masks are required at all times in our vehicles and wherever social distancing is not possible. Guests agree to follow guide instructions.
- Group sizes are limited to 9 guests.
- Guest time in the van has been shrunk wherever possible. Pickups closer to tour destinations have been added and encouraged.
- All vehicles and gear are sanitized following every tour using commercial grease sanitizing equipment with CDC approved sanitizers.
- All staff are required to complete a daily health screening and temperature check before starting their shift
- Face Masks are worn at all times in our vans and on our facility.
- Protocols to reduce contact between employees have been put in place
- Access to free COVID-19 testing is made available through the state of Hawaii.
- Adult (13+): $225.00 + taxes and fees
- Child (8-12): $200.00 + taxes and fees
Availability and Schedule:
Availability varies; please check booking calendar for up-to-date information.
Approximate Pick-up Time:
Approximate Return Time:
Pick Up available for select locations (Waikoloa area and Mauna Lani area). Pick up also available from Hawaii Forest & Trail Kona Headquarters (73-5593 A, Olowalu St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740) and at Keaau Shopping Center.
Check your confirmation emails for pick up details.
You Might Also Like:
💲 Starting at $154.00
✅ Exclusive private access onto Hualalai volcano
Venture onto private land behind 3 locked gates to explore the upper slopes of Kona’s very own volcano – Hualalai.
💲 Starting at $235.00
⭐ Unique Experience
🍴 Dinner Included
Our journey from sea level to the nearly 14,000-foot summit of Maunakea reveals the wonders and world-class clarity of the Hawaiian night sky.
💲 Starting at $270.00
👻 Great for thrill seekers
✅ Waterfall swimming included
Zipline well above the forest floor, picnic on the rim of Pololu Valley & swim under an exclusive waterfall fed by a cool mountain stream.