An in-depth volcano experience on the Island of Hawaii is offered by Hawaii Forest & Trail. Your National Park Certified Guide will share a mix of natural and cultural history about the island’s formation, illuminating the stories behind the ever-changing landscape of our island home.
- On this in-depth park experience, your interpretive guide will illuminate the historical events that changed the landscape of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
- Enjoy 2-3 miles of hiking around the park’s dynamic terrain.
- View Kilauea’s latest eruption after dark, when the glow from lava deep in the caldera lights up the night’s sky!
- We’ll visit a large private lava tube known for its bright yellow and gold microbial mats living on the cave walls. This lava tube is only accessible to Hawaii Forest & Trail guests.
Guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain and we may encounter cool, wet, or muddy conditions. Other tour restrictions may apply. Ages 8 +
- How much hiking do we do? We’ll hike for 2-3 miles at a location determined by park conditions that day.
- Will we get to see active lava? Active lava viewing can always change in the future. You can check most current volcano conditions by visiting the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory’s Eruption Update page.
Trips depart from Kona, with pickups in Waikoloa. Tour time is approx. 10-12 hours round trip. Traveling time is approx. 6 hrs from Waikoloa resorts.
Breakfast snacks, beverages, lunch, afternoon appetizers, National Park entrance fees.
Bring your own reusable water bottle.
Comfortable walking shoes, long pants, and a light jacket.
Walking sticks, flashlights, and rain ponchos.
Adult (13+): $265.00 + taxes and fees
Child (8-12): $240.00 + taxes and fees
*Price subject to change. Please check booking calendar for up to date pricing.
Availability and Schedule:
Daily except Sundays
Approximate Pick-up Time:
9:50AM – 10:30 AM
Approximate Return Time:
10:20PM – 10:40 PM
Approximately 10-12 hours
*Schedule subject to change.
Pick Up available for select locations (Waikoloa area and Mauna Lani area). Pick up also available from Hawaii Forest & Trail Kona Headquarters (73-5593 A, Olowalu St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740) and at Keaau Shopping Center.
Check your confirmation emails for pick up details.
You Might Also Like:
💲 Starting at $295.99
✅ The original volcano lovers tour
Exploler Volcanoes National Park. Transportation from Kona/Waikoloa Area.
💲 Starting at $235.00
✅ Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Black Sand Beach, Kona Coffee Farm and Stargazing near Maunakea
View the glowing lava inside the active volcanic crater that brightens up the night sky
💲 Starting at $295.99
✅ Explore the Big Island on a Circle Tour from Kona!
This adventure is designed for the intrepid sightseeing traveler wishing to see as much of the Big Island as possible in one day.