Best of Maui Tour
Featuring Haleakala, ‘Iao Valley and country towns
Your best day on Maui! See the island’s most memorable sites while your entertaining and knowledgeable guide takes care of the driving. You’ll stand on the summit area of Haleakala, world’s largest dormant volcano. You’ll be awed by the iconic ‘Iao Needle in a valley sharing the same name. Plus, travel through the slopes of rustic Kula, have lunch in the paniolo (cowboy) town of Makawao, and see charming Wailuku Town. Transportation from your hotel and all admissions are included.
- Hotel pickup in specially outfitted Grech deluxe minibus with USB ports, video monitors, climate control, and the best windows for viewing Maui’s beauty.
- Dormant Volcano Haleakala will be you first stop. The world-famous volcano was formed approximately 1 million years ago through the building up of layers of flowing lava. It has been a sacred location for Polynesian people who settled on the island 400-650 A.D.
- Haleakala National Park is home to over 1,000 different species of plant life. During the 38-mile drive to the summit you will view the magnificent silver sword plant, found nowhere else on earth, and will pass ancient sacred locations, and breathtaking views from the safety and comfort of your vehicle.
- Haleakala Visitor Center, constructed in 1936, is a small stone structure on the edge of a cliff. Information, souvenirs, and more. You’ll want to spend some time with the welcoming staff pleased to share their insights.
- Experience Climate and Topographical Changes as you gently glide through the varying elevations. Keep an eye out for the Silversword plant that is only found at Haleakala, and the rare Nene Goose.
- Views of Kula come into focus when approaching the open country slopes of the district meet agricultural land in this rustic region, home to early Portuguese and Chinese immigrant plantation workers.
- Makawao Town, an historic paniolo (“cowboy” in Hawaii) town is a fun choice for your lunch stop location.
- Wailuku Town sits at the base of the West Maui Volcano and is the county seat of Maui. In prehistoric Hawaii it was a power and population center, and later a plantation town.
- ‘Iao Valley, a dense rainforest and ancient battleground, it was a burial site for ancient Hawaiian royalty. The iconic, greenery covered ‘Iao Needle towers 1,20 feet above the valley floor.
- Souvenir booklet containing facts, Hawaiian cultural information, and more.
- Hotel return after your singular morning on fabled Haleakala.
Polynesian Adventure is operating our tours in compliance with local and state guidelines. Masks are required at all times onboard our vehicles as well as indoors unless actively eating or drinking and guests should follow social distancing guidelines as mandated by the state. The counties of Honolulu and Maui require proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test taken 48 hours before joining a sightseeing tour, entering a restaurant, museum, etc. In compliance with county requirements, we will be checking guest’s vaccination cards (digital copies are allowed) or a negative COVID test taken within 48 hours along with valid photo identification prior to boarding on Maui and Oahu tours. These mandates are subject to change without notice.
- Dress warmly (important) to be prepared for the Haleakala summit area where the temperature can be as low as around 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
- All admission fees included.
- Comfortable 38-mile drive to the summit area of “The House of the Sun”, Haleakala.
- Breathtaking sunrise viewing at 9,740 ft elevation summit area as you view the dawn of a new day from the top of the world.
- Haleakala Visitor Center, with its souvenirs, fact-filled publications, and helpful staff.
- Top of the line Grech minibus tour vehicles with excellent amenities, superb visibility windows, USB ports, and more.
- Remarkable views of Kula, Upcountry Maui, and environs during descent.
- Lunch stop (on own) in historic Makawao Town.
- Drive through charming and historic Wailuku Town.
- Live tour narration augmented by visual presentation on monitors (available in 6 languages).
- Souvenir tour booklet
- Kindly note that this tour is not recommended for guests with heart or respiratory conditions that may be exacerbated due to high altitude. People who have gone scuba diving should wait 72 hours before going on this tour. No refunds due to Haleakala due to inclement weather conditions impacting visibility. This tour is operated on rough, winding roads. It is not recommended for pregnant women or those with back or motion problems.
- The National Park Service and the Department of the Interior authorize Polynesian Adventure Activities to serve the public in Haleakala National Park.This service is operated by Polynesian Adventure Activities, a Concessioner under contract with the U.S. Government and administered by the National Park Service. The Concessioner is responsible for conducting these operations in a satisfactory manner. Prices are approved by the National Park Service. Please address comments to:
Haleakala National Park
PO Box 369
Makawao, HI 96768
Hotel pick up is provided from Major Maui Hotels. Enter the name of your hotel at time of reservation. Phone our Reservations Department at 808-877-4242, 24 hours prior to tour to re-confirm your pick up time and place. We are not permitted to pick up in residential areas or at B&B’s.
- Round-Trip Transportation in Air-Conditioned Comfort
- Tax and applicable admissions
- Haleakala National Park
- Wailuku Town
If this tour is canceled with more than 24 hours notice, the total amount is refunded. If the tour is canceled without 24 hours notice, full charges apply. No shows incur full charges. Claims for refunds must be made within thirty days of the date of service.
- Adult (12+): $170.00 + taxes and fees
- Child (3-11): $99.00 + taxes and fees
- Lap Child (2 and under): Free
Availability and Schedule:
Approximate Pick-up Time:
Approximate Return Time:
Other activities on Maui you may like:
💲 Starting at $214.00
⭐ Most popular
If you visit Maui, you absolutely “must” travel the picturesque Road to Hana, and you should enjoy it in the comfort of a deluxe, air-conditioned, smooth riding minibus with professional driver.
💲 Starting at $215.00
⭐ Breakfast included
The other worldly landscape, altitude, unique flora, and pervasive influence of ancient Hawaiian culture combine to create an event simply beyond imagination.
💲 Starting at $183.00
⭐ Sells Out Fast
If a 2:00/2:30 a.m. departure time for a sunrise isn’t your thing, come join us for an equally impressive experience viewing sunset from the “House of the Sun”, Haleakala.