Haleakala Sunrise Tour from Kahului
Start your morning in Maui surrounded by heavenly colors as you watch a magical sunrise at Haleakala. Seeing the sunrise from this above the clouds perspective is a must-do on Maui as you journey to the highest peak on the Valley Isle. This iconic landmark was known as “wao akua,” realm of the gods, and is known in Hawaiian mythology as the spot where the demi-god Maui lassoed the sun. You may also hear it called the House of the Sun.
As a sacred site, only priests could visit this enchanting destination and provide special meanings and purpose to Haleakala’s animals, plants, and rocks for thousands of years. Fortunately it’s now part of the National Park Service and invites many adventurers to its summit to experience an otherworldly sunrise and explore the rest of this Hawaiian treasure.
Even with an early start time, we begin your Haleakala adventure with a continental breakfast. Then, we journey up the mountain on a 30-minute drive. Even though it’ll be warm on Maui, it gets quite cold at the top of Haleakala as we are arriving while it’s still dark. Stay bundled up and hear fascinating facts about Hawaii, our culture and our history, and about the volcano we’re at. Your guide also prepares you for the sunrise experience and then it’s time to witness the sunrise from this one-of-a-kind vantage point.
Now that the sun’s above the clouds, it’s time to go back down the mountain and enjoy an all-you-can-eat hot breakfast buffet.
(* denotes stops made)
- Zippy’s Restaurant* – Enjoy a cozy continental breakfast at this popular local eatery prior to your journey up Haleakala.
- Haleakala Summit and National Park*– With altitudes at more than 10,000 ft., this dormant volcano is a popular destination on Maui. The “House of the Sun” offers panoramic views of the island and is home to many unique, endangered plant species.
- Island-Style Hot Breakfast* – Feast a hot all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast after sunrise.
This tour is operated by Valley Isle Excursions, a concessionaire under contract with the U.S. federal government and administered by the U.S. National Park Service.
Valley Isle Excursions drivers are National Association of Interpretation (NAI), first aid and CPR certified. Valley Isle Excursions is committed to respecting and protecting the island’s environment, and make every effort to have the lightest ecological footprint possible by recycling and generating no trash during the tour.
Group sizes are limited to 12 guests per guide.
- This tour is operated by Valley Isle Excursions, please look out for a Valley Isle Excursions van on the day of your tour.
- Wearing long pants, a heavy sweater or jacket is highly recommended, as the weather is extremely cold in the morning at Haleakala’s crater and temperatures can drop below freezing at any time of year with the wind chill factor. You could even bring a blanket or hotel towel to keep warm.
- Valley Isle Excursions vehicles are equipped with an oxygen generator and an automatic external defibrillator. However, we advise guests to take caution due to the reduced oxygen at high elevation. Expectant mothers and guests with heart or respiratory problems should check with their doctor before coming to the Park.
- Routes and time may be modified or restricted due to circumstances beyond our control.
- This Excursion is only available for the NCL Pride of America.
- Due to limited availability, wheelchair-accessible vehicles may not be available for your tour. Please check prior to booking and make reservations more than 4 days in advance.
- Valley Isle Excursions will make all reasonable attempts to accommodate the needs of disabled travelers.
- You can cancel free of charge up to 72 hours before the day of tour for a full refund.Any cancellations or no shows within 72 hours will incur a full charge.
- A 10% service fee is withheld for any cancelled reservation paid by credit card.
Child (3-12 yrs): $166.50
Availability and Schedule:
Available on select days for NCL Pride of America cruise ship passengers only.
- Pick up time: 2:00 AM
- Approximate return time: 8:00 AM
Other Haleakala Sunset / Sunrise Tours You Might Like:
💲 Starting at $183.00
⭐ Sells Out Fast
If a 2:00/2:30 a.m. departure time for a sunrise isn’t your thing, come join us for an equally impressive experience viewing sunset from the “House of the Sun”, Haleakala.
💲 Starting at $215.00
⭐ Breakfast included
The other worldly landscape, altitude, unique flora, and pervasive influence of ancient Hawaiian culture combine to create an event simply beyond imagination.