Haleakala Sunset & Stargazing Tour from Kahului
From the world’s largest dormant volcano, renew your spirit with an enchanting sunset and an awe-inspiring sparkling night sky above the clouds, away from light-pollution. Ancient Hawaiians passed their knowledge through storytelling and in similar fashion, our guide and professional astronomer will explain Hawaiian culture, tales of Haleakala, and wayfinding (navigating by the stars).
Sit in comfort as our expert driver navigates the winding roads safely up the mountain. After the sun sets, gaze through our premium telescope equipped with GPS to help find any constellation and planet while enjoying a hot beverage service. Enjoy one of the best vantage points in the world for stargazing with clearer skies on top of Haleakala, more than 10,000 feet tall.
- Maui Mall* – With a wide variety of foods to choose from, dinner can be purchased at Maui Mall before the tour continues to Haleakala. (dinner not included; this is an approx. 20 minute stop)
- Haleakala Summit* – Known as the “House of the Sun,” this dormant volcano towers at over 10,000 feet and has a contrast of harsh volcanic landscape which is the home of many unique endangered species including the beautiful and endemic silversword plant. Enjoy 1.5 to 2.0 hours at the Summit viewing the incredible Sunset and experiencing the Night Sky through our 11” diffraction limited and fully computerized dual fork arm mount telescope.
- Sunset and Stargazing* – Enjoy sweeping views of the island as the sun sets, and then learn from a professional Astronomer who will guide you through the constellations and landmarks in the sky. Our premium telescope is computerized and equipped with GPS, and the 9 x 50 finderscope will help you accurately find objects.
* denotes stop made
- Tour subject to cancellation if the minimum number of 2 participants is not met.
- Please feel free to bring your own dinner to enjoy while watching the Sunset over Haleakala. Dinner can be purchased at Maui Mall (approx. 20 minute stop) before the tour continues to Haleakala with a variety of foods to choose from. (not included in price)
- Hot beverage service is included (coffee/tea/hot chocolate).
- Wear comfortable walking shoes. Long pants, a heavy sweater or jacket is highly recommended as the weather is extremely cold at night at Haleakala’s crater and temperatures can drop below freezing at any time of year with the wind chill factor.
- Snow jackets will be provided for use during the tour.
- Please note: this tour is not ADA accessible.
- Not recommended for expectant mothers or guests with heart or respiratory problems.
- No scuba diving within 24 hours before your tour date to avoid decompression sickness.
- Guests who are prone to motion sickness, please hydrate and consider taking an over-the-counter, non-drowsy motion sickness remedy and use pressure point wrist bands.
- Minimum age for this tour is 4 years or 40 pounds.
- Locations/Routes may be modified due to National Park and State Park advisories.
- Not all tours are conducted under perfectly clear skies. If bad weather prevents telescope observation, you will receive a 25% refund.
Reservations may be canceled free of charge up to 24 hours prior to your scheduled tour service for a full refund. No-shows and cancellations less than 24 hours in advance are non-refundable.
Tour subject to cancellation if the minimum number of 4 participants is not met.
Child (4-11 yrs): $209.00
Availability and Schedule:
Available on select days for NCL Pride of America cruise ship passengers only.
- Pick up time: 5:00 PM
- Approximate return time: 11:00 PM
Other Haleakala Tours You Might Like:
💲 Starting at $144.00
⭐ Sells Out Fast
If a 2:00/2:30 a.m. departure time for a sunrise isn’t your thing, come join us for an equally impressive experience viewing sunset from the “House of the Sun”, Haleakala.
💲 Starting at $191.00
⭐ Breakfast included
The other worldly landscape, altitude, unique flora, and pervasive influence of ancient Hawaiian culture combine to create an event simply beyond imagination.