Historic Kona and Farm Tour
Delve into the fascinating history and vibrant culture of the Big Island of Hawaii. Tour ancient Hawaiian sites along the coast, visit early churches and a royal palace, and make stops at a honey farm and coffee orchard to taste some of the island’s locally made treats.
Your tour begins at Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park, where abundant sea life attracted settlements for centuries. Learn about the amazing handmade fishponds and seawalls along the beach, and walk along a trail to sacred temples and petroglyphs. You might even spot a sea turtle or monk seal on the salt and pepper sands.
Drive through downtown Kona, passing by the former royal vacation home at Hulihee Palace and Mokuaikaua Church, the oldest Christian church in the Hawaiian Islands. Ride along the rugged volcanic coastline to Big Island Bees, which has been producing organic honey since 1972. After a presentation from a beekeeper, get a close-up look at a hive and sample some of their sweet island nectar.
Hear about Captain James Cook’s arrival at Kealakekua Bay and enjoy a fresh picnic lunch at the lookout. Then set out for a narrated walking tour at Puuhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park to learn how Hawaiians who had broken an ancient kapu (law) could flee to this seaside location to be absolved by a priest.
Finally, make your way to a Kona coffee farm. Walk through the orchards and learn about the harvesting and milling process, and sample a warm cup of Kona-grown java before head back for the day.
- Historic, cultural & agricultural sites in & around Kona
- Visit ancient royal grounds at the sacred site of Pu’uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park
- Take a guided nature walk through Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park to see ancient fishponds and seawalls
- Discover Hawaiian monk seals and green sea turtles at Honokohau Beach
- Honey tasting & beekeeper-led talk at Big Island Bees and sip coffee on a tour of a coffee plantation
Pick up location and Time
Tour departs daily. We pick up from all resorts and hotels in Keahou, Kona, Waikoloa, and Kohala area between 7 am to 8 am. Actual pickup times vary depending on location. Tour duration is around 6-7 hours. We can also pick up cruise ship guests from Kona Pier.
What to bring and wear
Wear comfortable summer clothing. Covered walking shoes are recommended
Group Size: Tours are limited to a maximum of 12 guests per vehicle
Tour difficulty: Easy hiking over short distance. Ages 5 and older are recommended.
Included in the tour: local style picnic lunch consists of teriyaki chicken, fish, vegetables, and steamed rice with assorted juices, snacks, and bottled water. In addition, all park entrance fees, mosquitos repellent, and rain gear.
Cancellation Policy: Minimum 24 hours notice for groups of 1-5, 48 hours notice for groups of 6 or more, and 72 hour notice for private groups to receive a full refund.
How much hiking do we do?
A: We will have couple easy hikes over short distance in this tour. Total hike distance is about a mile.
Will we get to taste Kona Coffee and honey?
A: Yes, there will be free sample tasting at the Kona coffee farm and Big Island Bees
Can cruise ship visitors go on this tour?
A: Yes, we can pick up from Kailua-Kona pier and return by 3 pm.
The Health and safety of our staff and guests are a top priority at Hawaii Forest & Trail. Although the risk of COVID-19 can not be eliminated, we have taken the following steps to mitigate these risks:
Hawaii Forest & Trail has implemented new Health and Safety Policies based on guidance and requirements by the State of Hawaii and CDC. The following requirements will need to be met in order to join us:
- Proof of a negative COVID-19 test through the Hawaii Safe Travel Program or proof of 14 day quarantine (airline generated flight itinerary) Test results must be presented upon check-in.
- Health Questionnaire and temperature check with contactless infrared thermometer completed prior to your participation
- Face masks are required at all times in our vehicles and wherever social distancing is not possible. Guests agree to follow guide instructions.
- Group sizes are limited to 9 guests.
- Guest time in the van has been shrunk wherever possible. Pickups closer to tour destinations have been added and encouraged.
- All vehicles and gear are sanitized following every tour using commercial grease sanitizing equipment with CDC approved sanitizers.
- All staff are required to complete a daily health screening and temperature check before starting their shift
- Face Masks are worn at all times in our vans and on our facility.
- Protocols to reduce contact between employees have been put in place
- Access to free COVID-19 testing is made available through the state of Hawaii.
Adult (13+): $149.00 + taxes and fees
Child (12 and under): $139.00 + taxes and fees
Availability and Schedule:
Available Daily except Saturdays and Sundays
Approximate Pick-up Time:
Varies depending on your hotel
Approximate Return Time:
Other Activities you might like:
💲 Starting at $269.00
✅ Explore the Big Island on a Circle Tour from Kona!
This adventure is designed for the intrepid sightseeing traveler wishing to see as much of the Big Island as possible in one day.
💲 Starting at $199.00
✅ Kona Coffee Farm, Waterfalls, Volcanoes National Park and Black Sand Beach
Professional guide sharing knowledge of the history, cultures, and geology of the island