Shore Excursion: Historic Kona Tour from Kona
Step off your cruise and step back in time on this tour of historic Kona.
Embark on a journey of discovery as you explore the historic city of Kailua – Kona and the sun-drenched Gold Coast. Travel past ancient temples, fields of coffee and macadamia nuts, and breathtaking coastal scenery.
The Big Island is world-famous for its rich blends of Kona coffee, and a stop at Royal Kona Coffee gives you a chance to sip the flavorful brew while browsing through the shop and exhibits.
Enjoy views of beautiful Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii Island’s top marine sanctuary and where a monument to Captain Cook stands.
You will make a stop at St. Benedict’s historic painted church (noted for its colorful murals depicting biblical scenes), and then discover old Hawaii at Pu’uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park. This place of refuge has served as a political and religious sanctuary for the breakers of sacred law (or kapu) since ancient times. Here you will find a temple that once housed the bones of deceased chiefs and wooden images of the fierce gods that protect it.
*Prices shown are for current schedules only and may be subject to change.
- Puuhonua O Honaunau National Park* An ancient Hawaiian village of refuge. The Puuhonua protected the kapu breakers, defeated warriors, as well as civilians during the time of battle.
- Kealakekua Bay (drive by only) – Captain Cook arrived here in 1779. Historical landmark views include the religious site Hikiau-heiau and Captain Cook’s monument across Kealakekua Bay.
- St Benedict’s Painted Church* Built between 1899-1902, Belgian priests painted this church to be a grand cathedral.
- Royal Kona Coffee* The largest roaster of Kona Coffee in the world. Experience history as rich as the brew at the Kona coffee factory.
* Denotes stop made
- Children under the age of 4 are FREE and must be seated on an adult’s lap. If you require a seat for a child under the age of 4, the above rate will be applicable.
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Lunch is not included.
- Due to circumstances beyond our control (i.e. National Park advisories, traffic congestion, inclement weather, etc.) the locations/routing and times are subject to change.
- Please book your tender reservation with the ship 24 hours prior to tour time to ensure you are at pier side in time for your tour pick up. Inform the ship staff that you require a tender reservation (a tender reservation is a reservation with another vessel that will transport you from the ship to pier side.) Our tour will depart from Kailua, Kona Pier.
- Due to limited availability, we require that ADA vehicle reservations be made a minimum of 48 hours prior to date and time of service. Roberts will make all reasonable attempts to accommodate the needs of the disabled traveler.
- For electric wheelchairs or scooters: The combined weight of the wheelchair and guest cannot exceed 500 lbs. and the maximum width of the wheelchair cannot exceed 29 inches.
- Tour subject to cancellation if the minimum number of 6 participants is not met.
- Reservations may be cancelled up to 48 hours prior to your first scheduled tour service, for a refund. No-shows and cancellations less than 48 hours in advance are non-refundable.
- A 10% service fee is withheld for any cancelled reservation paid by credit card.
Adult (12+): $65.00 + taxes and fees
Child: (4-11): $65.00 + taxes and fees
Available on Wednesdays for PRIDE OF AMERICA cruise ship passengers only.
- Pick up time from the Pier: 10:00 AM
- Approximate return time to the Pier: 1:30 PM
- Tour Duration: 3.5 hours
Other Activities on the Big Island You May Like:
💲 Starting at $175.00
✅ Visit National Historical Parks, Kona Coffee Plantation and Big Island Bees
✅ Convenient Pick-up from hotels in Keahou, Kona, Waikoloa, Kohala, and the Kailua-Kona Pier
Visit an ancient Hawaiian site, churches and a royal palace along the Coast. Stop at a local honey & coffee farms and taste the specialties of the Big Island.
💲 Starting at $131.00
✅ Includes visit to Steam Vents Look Out and Halema’uma’u Crater
✅ transportation from/to Hilo Harbor
✅ For NCL Pride of America Cruise ship Passengers
See the ultimate sights and attractions around the Island of Hawaii on this exceptional tour.