Shore Excursion: Historic Kona Tour from Kona
Step off your cruise and step back in time on this tour of historic Kona.
On this cruise ship excursion, we share Kailua-Kona’s history to set the stage for your trip back in time to Pu’uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park – an ancient Hawaiian village of refuge for kapu (law) breakers.
We show you a beautiful scenic view overlooking Kealakekua Bay – an underwater preserve and where a monument to Captain Cook stands. Here, he sailed in and was received as the god, Lono, yet he proved to be a mere mortal and was slain. Visit the Painted Church – the tiny church Belgian priests painted to be a grand cathedral. Experience history as rich as the brew at the Kona coffee factory we visit as well.
Don’t miss your chance to discover Kona on this Hawaii cruise excursion!
*Prices shown are for current schedules only and may be subject to change.
- Puuhonua O Honaunau National Park* An ancient Hawaiian village of refuge. The Puuhonua protected the kapu breakers, defeated warriors, as well as civilians during the time of battle.
- Kealakekua Bay (drive by only) – Captain Cook arrived here in 1779. Historical landmark views include the religious site Hikiau-heiau and Captain Cook’s monument across Kealakekua Bay.
- St Benedict’s Painted Church* Built between 1899-1902, Belgian priests painted this church to be a grand cathedral.
- Royal Kona Coffee* The largest roaster of Kona Coffee in the world. Experience history as rich as the brew at the Kona coffee factory.
* Denotes stop made
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.
- Lunch is not included.
- Due to circumstances beyond our control (i.e. National Park advisories, traffic congestion, inclement weather, etc.) the locations/routing and times are subject to change.
- Please book your tender reservation with the ship 24 hours prior to tour time to ensure you are at pier side in time for your tour pick up. Inform the ship staff that you require a tender reservation (a tender reservation is a reservation with another vessel that will transport you from the ship to pier side.) Our tour will depart from Kailua, Kona Pier.
- Due to limited availability, we require that ADA vehicle reservations be made a minimum of 48 hours prior to date and time of service. Roberts will make all reasonable attempts to accommodate the needs of the disabled traveler.
- For electric wheelchairs or scooters: The combined weight of the wheelchair and guest cannot exceed 500 lbs. and the maximum width of the wheelchair cannot exceed 29 inches.
- Tour subject to cancellation if the minimum number of 6 participants is not met.
- Reservations may be cancelled up to 48 hours prior to your first scheduled tour service, for a refund. No-shows and cancellations less than 48 hours in advance are non-refundable.
- A 10% service fee is withheld for any cancelled reservation paid by credit card.
Adult (18+): $59.00
Child: (4-11): $59.00
Available on select days for PRIDE OF AMERICA cruise ship passengers only.
- Pick up time from the Pier: 10:00 AM
- Approximate return time to the Pier: 1:30 PM