Haleakala Sunrise Tour – Breakfast Included
Viewing sunrise atop the summit area of Haleakala is among the most sought-after experiences in the islands. The other worldly landscape, altitude, unique flora, and pervasive influence of ancient Hawaiian culture combine to create an event simply beyond imagination. Translated from Hawaiian, Haleakala means “House of the Sun”, and as the most experienced of Haleakala tour providers and operators of the finest vehicles for the trip, Polynesian Adventure Tours is ideally qualified to share the rising of the sun with you.
Your expert driver guide will greet you at your hotel and welcome you aboard a state-of-art minibus that features wide side windows and an incredible panoramic front window well above the driver’s seat to open up the finest possible views of along the way to the summit area. Your driver’s superb live tour narration is augmented with captivating video segments shown on high tech vehicle monitors. Upon descending from the dormant volcano, you will join newfound friends for a delicious local style breakfast at Kula Lodge with its Upcountry hospitality and stunning views of the west Maui mountains before returning to your hotel.
- Hotel pickup in specially outfitted Grech deluxe minibus with USB ports, video monitors, climate control, and the best windows for viewing the Haleakala landscape
- Dormant Volcano Haleakala was formed approximately 1 million years ago through the building up of layers of flowing lava. It has been a sacred location for Polynesian people who settled on the island 400-650 A.D.
- Haleakala National Park is home to over 1,000 different species of plant life. During the 38-mile drive to the summit area you will view the magnificent silver sword plant, found nowhere else on earth, and will pass ancient sacred locations, and breathtaking views from the safety and comfort of your vehicle.
- Ranger Station of the Park is at 7,000 ft where a convenient rest top is taken, and visitor information is available.
- Viewing of Sunrise as it rises above the clouds is the climax of the morning. The unforgettable show of light and color bursting into view is a spiritual experience for many. Majestic views from the 9,740 ft elevation are unparalleled anywhere. They are so expansive that under especially clear sky conditions other islands may be seen several miles away.
- Haleakala Visitor Center, constructed in 1936, is a small stone structure on the edge of a cliff. Information, souvenirs, and more. You’ll want to spend some time with the welcoming staff pleased to share their insights.
- Descend through the Clouds as you gently glide through the changes in topography, weather, and scenery accompany elevation changes.
- Views of Kula come into focus when approaching the open country slopes of the district meet agricultural land in this rustic region, home to early Portuguese and Chinese immigrant plantation workers.
- Scenic Upcountry Maui where misty mountain views, rich volcanic soil, and verdant farmland blends with a combination of early settlements and affluent new estates.
- Breakfast included at Kula Lodge, a local favorite, where you and your newly found friends will enjoy a delicious meal together.
- Souvenir booklet containing facts, Hawaiian cultural information, and more.
- Hotel return after your singular morning on fabled Haleakala.
Dress warmly for your Haleakala tour as temperatures fluctuate. This tour is not recommended for people with heart or respiratory conditions that may be exacerbated due to high altitude. People who have gone scuba diving should wait 72 hours before going on this tour. No refunds if sunset not visible due to inclement weather conditions. This tour is operated on very rough, winding roads. It is not recommended for pregnant women or those with back or motion problems.
Polynesian Adventure is operating our tours in compliance with local and state guidelines. Masks are required at all times onboard our vehicles as well as indoors unless actively eating or drinking and guests should follow social distancing guidelines as mandated by the state. The counties of Honolulu and Maui require proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test taken 48 hours before joining a sightseeing tour, entering a restaurant, museum, etc. In compliance with county requirements, we will be checking guest’s vaccination cards (digital copies are allowed) or a negative COVID test taken within 48 hours along with valid photo identification prior to boarding on Maui and Oahu tours. These mandates are subject to change without notice.
- Set your alarm to be ready for a 2:00/2:30 a.m. pickup from your hotel.
- Dress warmly (important). The temperature can be as low as around 20 degrees Fahrenheit, but the sight of the sun rising should warm you up.
- Haleakala National Park admission fees included.
- Ranger Station at Haleakala National Park entrance.
- Comfortable 38-mile drive to the summit area of “The House of the Sun”, Haleakala.
- Breathtaking sunrise viewing at 9,740 ft elevation summit area as you view the dawn of a new day from the top of the world.
- Haleakala Visitor Center, with its souvenirs, fact-filled publications, and helpful staff.
- Top of the line Grech minibus tour vehicles with excellent amenities, superb visibility windows, and visual presentation on monitors (available in 6 languages) to augment professional live narration.
- Remarkable views of Kula, Upcountry Maui, and environs during descent.
- Delicious group breakfast at beautiful Kula Lodge.
- Kindly note that this tour is not recommended for guests with heart or respiratory conditions that may be exacerbated due to high altitude. People who have gone scuba diving should wait 72 hours before going on this tour. No refunds if sunrise not visible due to inclement weather conditions. This tour is operated on rough, winding roads. It is not recommended for pregnant women or those with back or motion problems.
Haleakala Authorized Concessioner
The National Park Service and the Department of the Interior authorize Polynesian Adventure Activities to serve the public in Haleakala National Park.
This service is operated by Polynesian Adventure Activities, a Concessioner under contract with the U.S. Government and administered by the National Park Service. The Concessioner is responsible for conducting these operations in a satisfactory manner. Prices are approved by the National Park Service. Please address comments to:
Haleakala National Park
PO Box 369
Makawao, HI 96768
Hotel pick up is provided from major Maui hotels. Enter the name of your hotel at time of reservation. Phone our Reservations Department at 808-877-4242, 24 hours prior to tour to re-confirm your pick up time and place. We are not permitted to pick up in residential areas or at B&B’s.
- Round-Trip Transportation in Air-Conditioned Comfort
- Applicable admissions
- 38-mile driving ascent of Haleakala
- Witness a kaleidoscope of changing colors and dazzling lights from atop Haleakala.
If this tour is canceled with more than 24 hours notice, the total amount is refunded. If the tour is canceled without 24 hours notice, full charges apply. No shows incur full charges. Claims for refunds must be made within thirty days of the date of service.
- Adult (12+): $215.00 + taxes and fees
- Child (3-11): $133.00 + taxes and fees
- Lap Child (2 and under): Free
Availability and Schedule:
Availability varies; please check booking calendar for up-to-date information.
Approximate Pick-up Time:
2:00 AM (April to September) 2:30 AM (October to March)
Approximate Return Time:
11:30 AM (April to September) 12:0 PM (October to March)
Other activities on Maui you may like:
💲 Starting at $214.00
⭐ Most popular
If you visit Maui, you absolutely “must” travel the picturesque Road to Hana, and you should enjoy it in the comfort of a deluxe, air-conditioned, smooth riding minibus with professional driver.
💲 Starting at $170.00
⭐ Most comprehensive
Your best day on Maui! See the island’s most memorable sites while your entertaining and knowledgeable guide takes care of the driving. You’ll stand on the summit area of Haleakala, world’s largest dormant volcano.
💲 Starting at $183.00
⭐ Sells Out Fast
If a 2:00/2:30 a.m. departure time for a sunrise isn’t your thing, come join us for an equally impressive experience viewing sunset from the “House of the Sun”, Haleakala.